Well, I had so much fun putting together my 2008 SurfShelf Holiday Gift Guide that I just could resist putting together a quick list of some fun fitness toys and gadgets. Maybe a few more toys to help make exercise fun is what we need as we start thinking about our upcoming New Year’s “health and fitness” resolutions.
So here are my top 5 fitness gadgets for today:
Fun Fitness Gadgets
1. FitBit: Track your daily exercise as well as the quality of your sleep with this slick new wearable tracker. Walk within 25-50ft of the base station that comes with it and your data will be automatically uploaded to the Fitbit website where you can view your detailed results and set goals. Available @ $99.
2. The BoarDRock: What? A skateboard with no wheels? Exactly! This is a fun new balance and strength trainer for snow boarders, skateboarders, wake boarders or anyone who wants to enhance balance and spinning skills. The site says “Practice your ollies, nollies, kickflips, hardflips, shove-its, varials, spins, grabs, manuals and old school tricks”… Now I don’t know what those things are, but they sure sound like fun to me. $99.95.
3. The StairCycle: I tried one of these at the Health + Fitness Business Expo last July in CO and it was a lot of fun (their booth was a not far from ours and they let me take it for a spin around the floor before the convention opened to the public). This thing is basically a bicycle with stair-step paddles instead of rotating peddles. It’s fun, gets you to where you need to go and gives you a “stepping” workout while you’re at it. $575 – $995.
4. The WordLock 5-Dial Padlock: Okay, I need this product. With so many things to remember these days, the combination to the padlock I use with my gym gear is one piece of data that my brain seems to move to the expendable list. But with this lock, I can simply set the combo to a word that I’ll remember and wallah, no more trying 10 different number combos before I’m able to open my locker. Maybe I wouldn’t call this gadget “fun”, but neither is sitting in the locker room scratching your head. And, since it red, maybe it will help me find the locker I put my stuff in too! $9.99.
5. The Original Eco Yoga Mat: Composed exclusively of all-natural rubber and jute fiber (no man-made additives whatsoever) this yoga mat is the most earth-conscious and eco-friendly yoga mat option available anywhere today. Plus, it works great. Its rubber underside grips the floor and the jute fabric/rubber mix on top offers superb traction. It’s good for you and the planet! $72.
6. The SurfShelf: Okay, you know I had to extend the list to 6 in order to include my favorite fitness gadget… The SurfShelf holds your laptop on your treadmill (or bike, elliptical trainer, stair master, etc.) so you can have fun getting fit while playing on the Net! Why not have as much fun as you can on your exercise machines?
Have a great day!